Wednesday, December 20, 2006

And the Hunt Begins...

As I've mentioned a dozen times, I am getting married. Since I do wedding photography, in addition to my day job as a mid-level bureaucrat, it has fallen upon me to secure the services of a photographer.

I have been procrastinating, I'll admit, since the whole of the process seemed weird to me. I have an idea of what I want, truly, but I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get it. Will I be able to afford it? And, since I'm really only doing this part-time, I have few, if any, contacts amongst wedding photographers. I'm really as in the dark as can be.

This, of course, makes me completely typical of my clients, most of whom have never hired a photographer before, don't really know what to expect, and are a touch nervous about spending the amount of money most shooters ask for. Though I do have an understanding of why photography costs what it does, I am pretty much in the dark otherwise.

However, I am going to swallow my anxiety and venture forth into the jungle of commercial wedding photography. As I already advertise on The Knot, I've started there. I'll post my thoughts on the website design, portfolio and pricing of each person I decide to take a closer look at. Heck, it'll probably be educational for all involved.

More bulletins as events warrant. (The Burbank Follower will be posted later this afternoon.)

No comments: