Friday, May 4, 2007

Seagate... Damn Their Eyes

OK, this has started to become extraordinarily irritating. First, I bought a hard drive from CompUSA that I can't use, can't return and can't sell. This, as better detailed in an earlier post, was frustrating in itself, but Seagate's technical support is one of the worst systems I have had the displeasure of running across.

The first, and biggest problem, is actually getting someone on the line that can solve your problem. I would like to return my brand-new, unused eSATA 300 drive. It works, as far as I can tell, anyhow, but I can't use it b/c my computer doesn't have the correct ports. Awesome. Because CompUSA is going out of business, they won't let me return it, and because it's a pretty common type of drive, I haven't had any luck selling it on craigslist.

This pretty much leaves a return to Seagate itself. I have called no less than six times, over the course of the past two weeks, only to be told that someone will call me back. No one, however, does. Or, rather, the only people who I CAN talk to tell me they can't help me, and that a mystery person will call me back.

Everyone who I speak to has an Indian accent, leading me to believe the call center is 4,000 miles away. The tech support people are unfailingly polite, and helpful as much as they can be. However, when an issue arises that requires the Scotts Valley corporate office to make a decision, everything gets lost in translation.

Either that, or they think that I will just go away. I did attempt to call the corporate office this morning, but was quickly shuttled to the same tech support hell as before. Damnit, the call center can't help me!

The joke of it all is this: it seems increasingly likely that my request to exchange products will simply be denied. It's not Seagate's problem that I bought the wrong thing, nor that the staff at CompUSA assured me that it would work with my Mac. However, since I'm stuck with the damn thing, I figure I should do everything within my power to make things right.

Wish me luck.

No comments: