Monday, June 12, 2006

Dissolving Donna

AS I mentioned before, I got engaged on June 1. Donna freaked out (in a good way, thankfully) and promptly pulled out the dozen or so bridal magazines she’d been hiding.

Apparently, it’s a bit presumptuous to assume that the man who bought the ring is actually gonna marry you. Heh. Actually, I was kinda dragging it out for bit longer than originally intended, if only because she was being soooo nice to me. Not that she isn’t normally. Actually, she’s incredibly sweet, cool, sexy and, most importantly, nice to me. But, damnit if she wasn’t EXTRA cool to me... And, truth be told, I kinda liked it that way.

Actually, I had nothing to worry about. It’s been a bit more than a week since she’s agreed to marry my silly ass and still she’s being sweet. I think, though, something has broken in her cerebral cortex, never to return. She, my friends, is dissolving.

The day after the proposal, Donna stayed up for 40 straight hours looking at magazines (which are all COMPLETELY the same... it’s completely ridiculous), talking to her girlfriends, talking to cousins she probably didn’t know she was related to, calling shops and, generally, freaking out.

Apparently, the first thing people do when you tell them you’ve gotten engaged is: “Do you have a date set yet?” Good Lord. Of course not. But, the weirdest thing to me is the slow realization that this is not, on its face, a ridiculous question.

I’ve been doing wedding photography for a few years now, and it continually surprises me how differently people deal with weddings. Some people book me 18 months before the wedding. Some 18 hours beforehand (no joke).

Still, the fact that people seem to expect an answer scares me a little. Am I supposed to know when I’m getting married? Feh. No wonder people get married in Vegas.

Add a Comment
Monday, June 12, 2006

No comments: