Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Internet Scamming

MANY, IF NOT ALL, HAVE DEALT WITH SOME VARIATION OF THE NIGERIAN INTERNET SCAM. That is, someone you’ve never met offers to give you millions of dollars in exchange for a valid US bank account. Very few people are taken in by this, of course, because it simply does not make sense that a stranger would give you vast sums of money.

Unfortunately, it seems that the 419 scammers (named after the Nigerian law that purports to curtail this behavior) have moved on to different kinds of scams. Again, unfortunately, many have focused on small business owners, like myself. I have, of course, no definitive proof that the following tale was actually a scam, but it sure as hell looks like one.

Almost without variation, these sort of scams have the following characteristics: they use a Yahoo or Hotmail account, state they are from the UK, state they need wedding photography within a few days or weeks, and state that they are unable to speak to you directly, only by email.

Again, for the sake of experimentation, here is the exchange I have had, thus far, with a suspected 419 scammer. This person, I believe, got my email from either PartyPop (as this happened before the recent unpleasantness with the service) or from a craigslist ad.

Additionally, if anyone has any idea of how, in the world, this scam would actually work, please let me know. Perhaps “Andrew” plans on canceling the wedding at the last minute, and asking for a refund of a bogus check? Also, despite the fact that he repeatedly states the urgency of this matter, it is often the better part of a week before any response to my emails. Leave your thoughts below.

This scam works against some unwitting people, since the an international money order will appear to clear immediately. Due to delays with international transactions, it may take a couple weeks for a bogus check to bounce, time enough for the victim to wire good money “owed” to the scammer for a refund or overpayment.

Anyhow, the lesson is this: Do not take money from international customers who offer to pay by international money order, and/or state they are going to pay you far in excess of your asking price. It’s a scam.

Other things to look out for:
- Poor command of English
- Exhortations that you respond “immediately” to the request
- Refusal to provide a phone number or a local contact

----
July 22, 2006
From: Andrew Jones
Subject: Photographer Needed

Hello,

I am Andrew Jones from the UK.I am having my wedding on the 9th of September at Burbank, CA .I want to know if you are available to cover my wedding event on that day. Please respond immediately with your packages and prices. I await your immediate response.

Regards,
Andrew.

----
July 22, 2006
To: Andrew Jones
Subject: Re: Photographer Needed

Andrew,

Glad to hear from you. I've attached a copy of my price list. Please let me know if you are unable to read pdf formats.

Due to issues regarding international customers, however, I must require the following:
- A local contact to meet with at least two weeks beforehand, one who is authorized to sign a contract
- Funds must be paid in US funds, drawn on a US bank

Thanks for your understanding, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Dan

----
July 28, 2006
From: Andrew Jones
Subject: Re: Photographer Needed

Hello,

I could not view the attachment you sent to me. Please list out the packages and brif (sic) description of them,their prices also,so i make a choice and proceed to payment arrangement.

Regards,
Andrew..

----
July 28, 2006
To: Andrew Jones
Subject: Re: Photographer Needed

Hello Andrew,

I've attached a copy of my price list. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Daniel

----
July 30, 2006
From: Andrew Jones
Subject: Re: Photographer Needed

Thanks for the response. Honestly,i am glad you are available for me because we started making the arrangements rather late and it has been difficult to get a free photographer. I am ok with your charge for the Basic Plus wedding package ($1399). I am also ready to make full payment to you ahead the wedding day,this is due to my present tight financial position. The wedding will hold in a friend's villa in Burbank.
The church ceremony,reception and after party will all hold in the same villa. We both can go view the location before the wedding when i arrive if you wish. I will also sign a contract when i arrive,i know it should be done before receiving funds,but sincerely speaking,i will be traveling most of the time before my wedding,and might not be in England to receive it sign and send it back,so i think its best i sign the contract when i arrive Burbank.
The church ceremony will begin at 10a.m to 12 noon, the reception follows at 12.00 noon to 2pm after taking first set of Family Portraits pictures. After the reception will be next round of Family and guest Portraits pictures,this will run to 4pm when you then call it a day. I believe you will make this a most memorable experience for me,my wife and guest whenever we go through the wedding book we decide to make.
Now to payment arrangement. I'll have my affiliate in the USA to send you your payment immediately,he has informed me that payment will be sent via Money Orders to you. He wants to know if this is ok with you? Actually happens to be owing me some money from our previous business transaction,so i instructed him to hold on to it as i knew i was drawing closer to this period when it will be urgently needed. I will now instruct him to send the Money Orders to you ASAP. The payment covers and exceeds your funds. The excess will be for any unforeseen expense i might incure (sic) before or after my arrival to Burbank. If no extra expense is incured (sic),then excess will be handed over to me after the wedding.
I hope your ok with my arrangements,it is the fastest i could come up with as the wedding fast approches (sic), i get nerve racked as the day approches (sic). I am trying to avoid anything that could possibly cause a delays. please send me your name and adress (sic) so the Money Orders are sent to you immediately. I will call you upon my arrival to make arrangements to meet and fix date to visit the venue if interested. I await your immediate response with information i request. Have a good day ahead and stay blessed.

Sincere Regards,
Andrew..

----
July 30, 2006
To: Andrew Jones
Subject: Re: Photographer Needed

Hello Andrew,

Please have your friend in Burbank contact me at 562.331.5516. Again, due to issues with international transactions, I must insist on the following:

- Signed contract from a local contact
- Funds drawn on a US Bank, in US Dollars
- No international Money Orders
- Full payment two weeks beforehand
- Payment for the exact amount.

The full amount of $1,514.42 ($1,399 plus CA Sales Tax) would be due on Aug. 26, 2006 by 5 p.m.

Again, due to the compressed timeline, please have your friend be available with the funds and be authorized to sign the contract as soon as possible. As this person is in Burbank, it should be relatively easy.

Thanks again.

Daniel

No comments: