Thursday, July 27, 2006

Advertising & Why PartyPop.Com Sucks **

OH GOOD GOD. Where to begin.

As a wedding photographer, one of the hardest things to do is attract new clients. I mean, I know I’m good, friendly and have good prices, but how in the world would anyone else know? Of course, there is a tried-and-true way to get the word out: advertising. This can take many forms: craigslist, word-of-mouth referrals, networking, and (not to be overlooked) paid ads.

The advantage of the free ads are, well, they’re free. When you’re starting out, pretty much all your equipment, products, samples, business cards, etc. are coming from savings or a loan... It seems weird to get too deeply into hock for a business that is, after all, supposed to make money. Unfortunately, there are problems as well.

Word-of-mouth referrals (as many, if not most photographers will tell you) is probably one of the best ways to build a business. You have satisfied customers singing your praises. People trust their friends to steer them right, and if you’ve gotten a reco, you’re pretty much golden. (I give a percentage discount for the referred couples, and a number of reprints to the referrer as a thank you. This, hopefully, will drive more referrals, but the program hasn’t been in place long enough for me to determine for sure. I’ll let you know how it goes.)

However, word-of-mouth referrals come pretty slowly, at least at first. Weddings are pretty unusual things in a lifetime, and the need for a particular person needing a wedding photographer a particular time is small. So, referrals may take, literally, years to roll in. You can’t survive as a nascent wedding photographer on six weddings a year.

So, I turned to craigslist. This is a free service, well known and well loved. However, it too has its problems. I’ve posted scores of times on the various websites for the areas I serve (LA, San Diego, Orange County, Ventura, Santa Barbara), and received exactly zero work. It seems like a waste of time. I was feeling a bit low, and a bit confused by this: is my work crap? Are my prices too high?

No. My work is friggin’ excellent (if I do say so myself), and my prices are more than fair...on the low side of the median. The problem is that people on craigslist are extreme bargain hunters. This is a nice way of putting it. The harsher (and more accurate) way would be this: cheap. This is not to say that everyone looking on craigslist is cheap... But when they’re looking for a photographer on that site, they’re looking for the CHEAPEST deal, not the BEST deal. This means that I’m going to be priced out by a rank amateur who is willing to shoot a wedding for the price of a meal and gas money.

Test this yourself: search “wedding photography” under “gigs.” More often than not, people are willing to pay, at max, $300 for a days worth of shooting. Such a price keeps everyone but the most inexperienced shooters from applying.. And, even then, I’m guessing the poster gets a dozen responses. So, craigslist is out.

The only thing, interestingly enough, that cragislist does is drive traffic to this blog.

So, then, the best way for a fledgling wedding photographer to make his mark in the world is to pay for it. There are dozens of different ways to do it, among them: Google AdWords, The Knot, Search Engine Optimization (SEOs), and, of course, PartyPop.com.

I started up with this organization about three months ago. I cancelled my account today, this morning in fact. Why? Rampant unprofessionalism, hard-sell techniques, misrepresentation and a confusing ad scheme. And, on top of that, I thought the website itself was confusing, ugly and cattle-call like. Not really the image I’m trying to promote as part of my business.

So, to back up these opinions, here’s my reasoning behind each of the above:

Rampant unprofessionalism: No one at this organization uses their last name. When they sign emails, it is always with their first. No direct phone number or even email address is ever given. When I asked for a last name, I was brushed off. Weird. Made me nervous. Additionally, there is no way to easily change ones ad, which took several weeks to become live... I had to wait the better part of a week for a small change to my ad, one that corrected a glaring grammatical error. For a long-time journalist and writer, this was nothing short of maddening.

Hard-sell techniques: This is not the first time I tried to cancel, the details of which will be in the following section. Each time I called in, even to complain, I felt that I was being bullied to purchase even more and more of PartyPop’s questionable product. Lame.

Misrepresentation: When I first signed up to use the service, I was told the total $1,380 annual fee could be broken up into monthly installments. I agreed to signup, in large part, because of this agreement. However, within a couple weeks, my account had been charged $460, or one-third of the total. When I called to complain, I was told I must have misunderstood the offer, as the monthly payment plan is simply something they do not do. Only when I offered to take them up on their cancellation policy did they relent. Frankly, I’m not even sure if they owe me money still, but I’m thinking it might be best for my blood pressure if I just let it go.

Confusing ad structure: It took the webmasters at PartyPop nearly three weeks to set up a very simple ad page, with a number of photographs drawn from this website. Not only did they not tell me this beforehand, I was not allowed to tell them which photos I wanted used. Additionally, my name would show up sometimes under Los Angeles Wedding Photographers, and sometimes under Mankato Wedding Photographers. (Mankato, I later discovered, is somewhere in Canada.... A bit farther than I’m usually willing to travel.)

And, as an apparent final f-u to me, I believe I have been shortchanged a month’s worth of service. I emailed Tuesday to cancel, received a response at approximately midnight that night to call to cancel... When I called the following day, I was told the one person who I needed to speak to was not available. She called back today, and, again, attempted to resell me a product I was desperately unhappy with. I however, told her that I did not want to be charged any additional fees by her company, and she agreed to cancel the listing.

But here’s the thing: I paid for four months of service, starting at the end of April. By my count, this is until the end of August. I did not know this until I looked at my records a bit closer. So, I figure I’m owed a refund of about $140. Man.

So, the hell with PartyPop. On to different techniques and advertisers.

**** Updated Friday, July 28 ****

So I spoke to PartyPop, yet again, about the missing month. I was told that my time began on April 6, the day I first signed up. I said that I wasn’t told that my ad was ready until April 30, and that I wasn’t billed until May 3. And, regardless, I my ad should have been posted until August 6 or, if done by month, July 31.

Take it from me: PartyPop is not to be trusted.

**** Updated July 31, 2006 ****

Well, I received a reply from the California Dept of Consumer Affairs. There is no division assigned with dealing with internet commerce, so my complaint has been dismissed. My only options, according to the Great White Father in Sacramento, is to file a complaint with the California Attorney General or with the Better Business Bureau. So, out of a sense of adventure, I filed a complaint with the BBB. More bulletins as events warrant.

Add a Comment
Thursday, July

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I let my PartyPop accounts expire today. I had videography listings for Orange County and Los Angeles. I got work from neither. I experienced the same no-last-name customer service approach, which was really weird.

And you are right about CraigsList. It's great for selling items you don't need anymore, but not a great forum for finding and selling premium services.

Good luck with your photography business.

Jeremy Miner
TrendMedia.TV

Anonymous said...

party pop has been good for me
adam with
www.aroundtownent.com

Natalie said...

I am sorry to hear about your troubles with Partypop.com
although I am almost hesitant to share my secret with all of you I realize that someone will figure it out and I would rather help people who obviously need it. Do yourself a favor and put some good effort into your craigslist ad, not to target the craigslist audience but to have the page crawled by search engines. Search for Miami Face Painter... I show up in the first page always from a craigslist ad. The people who have stumbled upon me probably have no idea what craigs is but were sent there by google. Find a good keyword generator and keyword suggestion site. Set up a bunch of keywords on the bottom of your listing and also put your website address somewhere in there. It will make it so that google crawls craigslist and your ad, therefor crawling through your site. Pay the $300 to yahoo for a year of sponsoring and they too will get all the good search engines to crawl your site. Hope this helps... www.miamibluemoon.com

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about partypop.com

I signed up with one of their free ads and what a mistake that was. I get more calls from them than I do any of the political parties put together. Now they have started leaving threatening messages on my answering machine stating if I don't buy an add with them they will take me off their website.

Fine by me, take me off, it's not going to make me feel bad one way or the other. Don't offer free if you aren't going to honor free and don't call harassing me after you've been told no I don't want to purchase an ad.

These people are ridiculous in their sales tactics, which I have never seen by any site before. Do they think that calling me every other day is going to get me to buy something from them, because even if I would consider it at a future point, there is no way I would with harassment like what I have received. Sorry I was with a client and couldn't take your call partypop.com, but I will call you back today and tell you to eat this Jasmine. . . .

Anonymous said...

Not to sound like an infomercial, but you should definitely post your professional services with EventShopper.Com, it's fairly new site, and they have a pretty cool Multimedia Promo-Kit. This best of all, it's free, and no commission needs to be paid either. Basically you have nothing to lose, but gain a cool Promo-Kit, and maybe a couple of new jobs.

All the best,

PartyPop indeed sucks!

Anonymous said...

Very glad I did a google search before paying the fees to partypop.com for ad submission.

At first i thought it was free to submit a site, and it is sorta (for name and number only) but to get a clickable webpage/ad was going to run me $180 per section per year.

I do both airbrush bodyart, (temporary tattoos) and airbrush tanning in the metro detroit oakland county area and I searched google for a few keywords and found partypop.com

I decided to wait talk to my wife search google a bit and am glad i did, will save that advertising money torwards other local sources and SEO for my website.

Anonymous said...

The only thing I really have to say after reading so many post about party pop I know they are aware of how aggressive their approach is and it is sad that they do not care to change. However I ran across a website it is pretty new similar to ebay and criagslist but for special event items and services to auction check it out. I never thought about listing my services for auction until now. Oh www.myeventbid.com

Anonymous said...

I am still astounded by the dick who would not take no for an answer from Partypop - I run 2 businesses here in the UK, so it's the second time of him pestering me on the phone - he claimed he was sat in an office in LA and wanted me to advertise with him. I said no, by the end of the call he was shouting abuse down the phone at me asking whether I was jealous that he was an American and I was English?! What the f**k?!! This guy is obviously unstable and runs a company that focuses on ludicrously hard sales tactics (he kept on phoning me many times after I put the phone down on him) what a freak.
My advice - stay the hell away from Partypop