Saturday, March 3, 2007

The Burbank Follower, Vol. 2, No. 17

GENERAL ELECTION COMETH
The four finalists for the two open Burbank City Council seats vow not to take their primary wins for granted. Gary Bric and Anja Reinke - who are supported by the current City Council - are vying against Philip and Caroline Berlin, a husband and wife team trying, according to the Leader, "to change to status quo." Leader.

Well, hmm. I voted for Bric and Reinke, despite my misgiving about their backing by the "Working Californians" PAC. Bric almost lost my vote, actually, following a Daily News story where he professed ignorance about the group's support. That, my friends, does not pass the smell test. At the very least, Bric (or someone in his campaign) would have received a copy of the flier - most Burbank residents did - bought and paid for by Working Californians.

I also was concerned that no news article has noted that the same independent expenditure supporting Bric also supported Reinke. Working Californians, on its state forms, only claims to be supporting Bric.

So why did I vote for them? Well, because I like what I've heard from them. I particularly like Reinke's Fine Arts Council proposal (I would considering volunteering should that come into existence, actually) and her views on energy efficiency. Bric I don't know as much about, despite my efforts: it seems that cops and firefighters like him, but that doesn't really hold that much weight for me. Great people, cops and firefighters, but their opinion on who should run the city holds as much weight on my vote as other stakeholders: teachers, business owners and my neighbors.

I never seriously considered voting for Prouty as his campaign literature merely seemed to state that he thought Burbank was swell, and he wanted to make it better. Er, how? The rest of 'em didn't seem to have a message of any sort. Heck with 'em, then.

So, why not the Berlins? Well, I have to admit that I didn't want to create a de-facto voting bloc on the Council. Also, some of their campaign literature seemed to have a serious misunderstanding of the state's open meeting law, the Brown Act. On top of that, they seemed to speak about wanting to change things, without presenting any ideas about what they wanted.

So, there ya go. The Berlins still have my vote in play for the general, but they have a bit of an uphill climb. I like Reinke, frankly. I don't know as much about Bric, but I don't believe it would be possible to split one of my remaining votes for Philip or Caroline. Any thoughts? I'd like to hear 'em.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may want to check out willrogershome.com before considering voting for either of the Berlins. Neither of them can be trusted to tell the truth and they have been active in political shenanigans in Burbank for some time. I believe every position they take is calculated to enhance their political position rather than what they believe is best for Burbank. They seem to have no shame lying and misleading the voters as long as it enhances their chances. Just look at their candidate statements - do you really think Phil believes that Burbank eliminated their gang detail? Do you think Carolyn is forthright by characterizing a charitable organization that provides free support to victims of domestic violence as a "private corporation"? Ever taken the time to look at the LA Times archive on Berlin supporter David Piroli? You might want to check it out to get a glimpse of the character of these people.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Stick with the Berlins. I often disagree with them on some issues, but they seem to be the only candidates who are clearly playing straight about their concerns over neighborhood protection. They actually walk the walk on this issue, and it's an important one.

It's unfortunate that "anonymous" above-- besides not having the guts to say their name-- buys so easily into the Will Rogers' rhetoric. Rogers is so off-base about the Berlins that it's not even funny any more--just bizarre. It's sad to see that Will has become part of the Burbank establishment these days.

If only the Berlins were as powerful and devious as he thinks they are! His column comes off as more than a little pathological, and his constant attempt to marginalize dissent here in town has become a bore. He never used to be this way, and it's sad.

The Berlins are my choice, and I think it's a good one. Just look at the nastiness of their critics. That tells you alot. And they think Berlin supporters are critical and over-the-top!!