Thursday, November 15, 2007

Metrolink Woes

So, this very fine morning, I was running late. This is not a particularly unusual occurrence. I drove into the downtown Burbank Metrolink lot just as the 8:08 a.m. train arrived. I hustled out of the car, and jumped on the train.

I failed to validate my 10-trip ticket. Oops. I figured that if the conductor came around, I would simply explain the situation, he would write in the time and date, and all would be fine. (This had happened on a prior occasion, though that time was due to a failure of the ticket validator, instead of a failure of the ticket holder.)

I had bought a 10-tripper a week ago. It should have been in my wallet. It was not. Tickets are very rarely checked between Burbank and Union Station. Today, however, tickets were checked. I was given a ticket.

Damnit.

I feel foolish, truly. I really thought my ticket was in my wallet. I'm hoping I can get some sort of reduction in the fine by showing the judge that I did, in fact, own a ticket, even if I couldn't show it to the conductor at the time in question.

Maybe some of you out there can give me some advice... Has anyone been through this? Does anyone know the fine? I've tried to do some research, but, so far, I haven't turned up anything definitive. Word is the fine is about $250, but that's the MTA fine, so I think people may be confused. I suppose they could be the same fine, though. Ugh.

Anyhow, that's my day so far. It'll get better, seeing as it has to.

No comments: