Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Random Los Angeles Transit Minute

I went to the gym last night downtown. I belong to Bally's, which happened because my lovely wife had a membership there, and I certainly didn't want to become the resident fatbody while she became increasingly toned and sleek. 


The Bally's at 7th and Fig is usually pretty crowded, and last night was no exception. So crowded, in fact, that I wasn't able to get in a full workout, just 20 minutes on one of the resident elliptical machines. Still, I was sweaty, and that's a good thing. I left at around 7:15, intending to take the Red Line back to Union Station where I would catch the 7:35 p.m. Lancaster-bound Metrolink back to Burbank. 

I was staring absently at the transit map in the station when I heard a male voice: 

"Dan? Is your name Dan?" 

As it is, I turned. Before me stood a smiling Drew Coombs, a former colleague of mine at the LA Daily Journal. With him stood a woman named Alexia, who I remembered still did work at the Daily Journal and (I believe) is Drew's girlfriend. I had not seen either of them for close to a year. It was good to see them. 

We chatted briefly until my train came. What was interesting about all this was not the interaction itself - Drew and Alexia are, as always, friendly and good people - but that it happened at all. That sort of meeting used to happen to me all the time in New York -- I even ran into an ex-girlfriend from Los Angeles. It had not, until yesterday, happened here. 

Maybe Los Angeles is starting to become a more cosmopolitan city, based, in large part, on the increasing number of professionals using public transit. Interesting thought, no? 

Anyhow, there was a guy on the train that was carting a large mound of recyclables on a baby stroller. The cans kinda smelled, as they do, and I was glad to see him get off at Pershing Square... the next stop down the line. 

I wished I had my camera, though. As he got off the train, the man pushed his cart west, giving me a clear view of the back of his t-shirt. It read "Anything To Make You Look Better." 

Nice. Good on you, man. Good on you. 

No comments: