Monday, January 28, 2008

South Beach Diet, Day 1 (Sunday)

As part of my goat to slim down to 170 lbs. by my birthday (if you want to send a card, it's March 31), I am exercising more (two to three times a week) and eating better. And, to facilitate my intake, I am going to be using the touted (or scorned, depending who you ask) South Beach Diet.

Donna and I used this diet about a year ago. It seemed to work, but for a few logistical issues, and we both lost a few unwanted pounds. Since then, Donna has been going to the gym far more regularly than I have and has been watching her food intake. I have been learning web design and eating Cheetos.

As a result, I need to get back on the South Beach wagon while she does not. So it goes.

As a way of keeping myself honest, I will be writing down my food intake, exercise regimen and reporting my daily weigh-ins. Why? Why not. You're reading it, right?

Day One - Sunday

The first part of the South Beach Diet (the so-called Phase 1) is the hardest. You are severely restricted in the foods you can eat. You need to avoid all bread products, cereals, potatoes, carrots, fruits (and fruit juices), sweets and booze. You eat lots of eggs, chicken, lean beef, salads, beans and fish. The recipes listed in the South Beach book are actually quite tasty. The biggest problem is time. I don't know about you, but the reason I eat Life in the morning instead of eggs and bacon is that the latter takes a hell of a lot longer to make, eat and clean up.

Also, when you work downtown (as I do), you lunchtime options do not tend towards the breadless and low-fat, but rather towards the starchy and the fried. This means having to pack a lunch each day, another time issue. Maybe I'm just lazy. I do like to cook, but I'm generally so tired and hungry by the end of the day that I just want to stuff something in the ole pie hole and be done with it... Either that or eat out. (That I've gained a few extra pounds comes as no particular surprise.)

Anyhow, here's what I ate yesterday.

Sunday, Jan. 27

Starting Weight (at 11 a.m.) : 187.0 lbs.

Gym: Yes. 20 minutes stairmaster, ab work, arms

Breakfast:

- Three poached eggs
- Lettuce
- Three slices cheese
- Three slices turkey breast

No Lunch

Dinner

- Bowl Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- Small Chicken Breast
- Two String Cheese sticks
- Fat Free Pudding Cup

After Dinner

- Fat Free Pudding Cup

No comments: